Carbon Monoxide Alarms
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odorless, tasteless, toxic gas that has the molecular formula CO. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of the fossil fuels - gas, oil, coal and wood used in boilers, engines, oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances and open fires.
Dangerous amounts of CO can accumulate when, as a result of poor installation, poor maintenance or failure or damage to an appliance in service, the fuel is not burned properly, or when rooms are poorly ventilated and the Carbon Monoxide is unable to escape.
NO SMELL and NO TASTE and NO COLOUR
And, it is for these reasons that CO Detectors are the only way to alert you to increasingly dangerous levels of CO before tragedy strikes.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors do NOT function as smoke detectors. Smoke detectors do NOT work as Carbon Monoxide detectors.
Only select detectors which are officially approved to at least one of the major CO Alarm standards.
What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning?
'flu like' symptoms
Collapse without necessarily losing consciousness, followed by unconsciousness and perhaps death.
Carbon Monoxide Tips
Check the flame colour of your appliances; if it's Orange you do have a problem. However, Blue does not necessarily mean it's safe. Get your appliances checked annually and get a CO Detector if unsure.
Check the flue, is it blocked? Do you have creeping plants growing up your walls? Do you have birds nesting in your flue? Completely remove these obstructions from the flue area and fit a guard to stop any birds nesting. Get your flue checked! Is it drawing properly? Was it fitted correctly in the first place?
Do you have a horizontal gas grill? They can be particularly hazardous. Is yours working correctly? Older appliances can be problematic, use the electric toaster instead. Get your cooker checked.
Is there adequate ventilation? Check your air bricks or trickle vents. Have you had double glazing fitted? If the appliances in your home do not have enough air they will produce Carbon Monoxide
When were your appliances last checked? Do it every year, don't leave it to chance.
Do you suffer from unexplained illnesses, Fatigue, Muscle pains, Upset stomach, Lethargy, Dizziness, Headaches? Go to your doctor and get a CohB test, go directly from your house, don't go elsewhere as the CO in your blood will deplete and may not be picked up.
Are you a Tenant? Do you have a Safety Certificate? Does your landlord annually check the appliances in your accommodation?
Are you a Landlord? Have you been carrying out statutory checks?
We all feel better on holiday. If you feel especially invigorated it may be that you have been removed from the source of the poison
The most important thing that you can do to protect yourself and your family from the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning is to get a Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm with a low level indicator.